Wednesday 23 February 2011

Sapporo Beer Commecial in 3D, without 3D glasses

As I hopefully develop a few followers of this blog, I should probably give a few terms of reference on how often I plan on posting etc. My intention (hopefully I will adhere to this fairly strictly) is to post twice a week. Usually on Monday and Thursday evening...yes I am tell you this in a Wednesday post. I am full on contradictions. To this end, I have been compiling a list of various topics that I am planning on blogging but this just sort of jumped the cue. It appeals to a few key interests of mine:
  1. 3D
  2. very high on the cool factor
  3. beer is not necessarily a bad thing either
Some of you may already have seen this given that, when I am posting, it already has almost 2.5 million hits on YouTube. This is very interesting if you have not seen it. This Sapporo beer commercial is almost 100% CGI and must have been a pretty heavy investment in money to create. I won't ruin it by describing too much prior to you watching it but when the scene goes below the stream, it shows some insane 3D without any need for glasses. It does not pop out of the screen at you but there is amazing depth of field to this, utilizing some well applied perspective. As the scene moves around the foreground and background change in unbelievable ways. The link inserted in this page won't let you get the full screen HD effect so I am including that link here (don't forget to come back after).


To make this even more interesting, Sapporo has a website devoted to this campaign. It is interactive and as you move your mouse cursor the scene navigates much like you see in the video. I have not found a lot of information about exactly how they are doing it yet. If anyone has more info about it I would love to know. I plan on asking my CGI guru, Rob Clegg, to see what he has to say about it. He/his work is on my list of topics to blog about so you will learn more about Rob in the very near future. 3D web navigation would add a a pretty interesting feel to a web site, don't you think?.

Feeling very thirsty...Dan


No comments:

Post a Comment