Thursday 17 February 2011

3D printing on steroids - The inaugural blog post

3D printing has come a long way since I started following it about 7 years ago. I have seen very low resolution, brittle models that turn to dust with a little handling and cost a fortune. More recently, 3D printing has made significant improvements in quality, mainstream visibility and more accessible pricing. The article "The Secret World of Printing Concept Cars in 3D" (linked from Wired) is about the improvements in quality and mainstream visibility....accessible pricing, maybe not.


As I head out to the 2011 Canadian International Auto Show next week, I am curious how many concept pieces I will see that have some 3D printing included in the fabricating process? If the the Renault Ondelios' printed interior in the Wired article looks as good as it does in the image, then the possibilities are expanding for large scale fabricating.

No comments:

Post a Comment